HANDMADE RECYCLED FELT BAGS
There are approximately 15 recycled bottles per m2 of P.E.T (Plastic Extruded Textile) felt.
Features & Benefits:
- Reduces withdrawal of non-renewable resources such as oil / fossil fuels, by using recycled content (rPET = recycled PET bottles).
- Saves carbon emissions, water and energy and has a significantly less environmental impact than virgin fibre.
- Propet applies international standards and best practice in their operations. Ensuring quality, environmental, social compliance and responsibility.
- The entire process from raw material (PET bottles) to fabric is 100% local, ensuring support of the South African economy, the local textile industry, the circular economy and recycling economy.
- PET bottles are collected by informal waste collectors, as well as formal recycling businesses across the country.
- The PET bottles are taken to Extrupet, who wash and chop the bottles into chips or flakes.
- These chips are used in food grade application to make new bottles made out of rPET (recycled PET bottles) or are sent to Propet.
- Propet converts the chips into small pellets, which are extruded through their machines to produce fibre.
- This fibre is used in the manufacture of the nonwoven felt, as well as many other fibres such as duvet and pillow inners, and even knitted into t-shirt fabric.